Mcely and history

Mcely is a picturesque village with original, historical wooden buildings and a 16th century Baroque church. It has about 300 residents, and its surroundings are a popular recreation area, primarily for the residents of nearby Prague. It is located on the edge of the beautiful St George Forest, itself wreathed in legends. Here you’ll find lots of wild mushrooms, blueberries and other delicious forest fruits. The ancient herbalist and healing tradition of the Nine Flowers is preserved here to this day. Experienced old herbalists collect the nine midsummer blooms at the end of June and add them to healing teas, or steep them in virgin oil to create curative balms.

For centuries Mcely was famous in Bohemia as the location of the Marian Miracles, the most famous of which happened in 1849, when, according to surviving documents, the Queen of Heaven appeared to three orphans.

Preserving local traditions and maintaining the quality of community life matter to the inhabitants of the village.

Time line of Chateau Mcely history


Chateau Mcely opened its gates to its first guests.


The demanding and extensive renovation of Chateau Mcely began on June 15 by Inéz and James Cusumano.


Chateau Mcely was used by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of the Interior. The castle was reduced to a dilapidated state.


After the death of Prince Alexandre Jan, Chateau Mcely became the family home and administrative center of his grandson, Prince Luigi della Torre e Tasso, and his wife Fanny Goodyear.


The west wing of the chateau had to be demolished because of its poor foundations. Costly renovation of the chateau was required when Prince Erich Thurn-Taxis married Countess Gabriela Kinsky. Their family lived at Chateau Mcely until1925.


In 1869 Count Filip Boos-Waldeck sold the Chateau Mcely estate to Prince Hugo Maxmilian of the princely family of Thurn-Taxis, which had its principal seat in nearby Loučeň. The Prince and his descendants owned Chateau Mcely until 1948. To this day, tales are told about the abandon of revels of the young Thurn-Taxis family, hunts with horses and hounds, and lavish parties with ballet dancers and actresses, kennels and racing stables and all the luxuries of aristocratic life of the time.


From 1863 to 1869 numerous members of the family of Count Boos-Waldeck occupied the chateau.


According to old records, nine years before a similar event in Lourdes, the Virgin Mary appeared to three little girls in the small field between Chateau Mcely and the church. A series of reported visions of the Virgin is known as the “Mcely Miracles”.


The dilapidated baroque chateau was rebuilt as a new residence in an austere classical style. Jindrich, the son of Baron Jan Filip Wessenberg-Ampringen, moved into the chateau with his family. The manor remained in the family’s hands until 1859.


Baron Jan Filip Wessenberg-Ampringen bought the chateau.


Count Jan Kristian of Valdstejn built the first chateau on Vinice Hill.


The first reliable evidence of the existence of a settlement with the unusual old-Czech name of Mcely can be found on an old parchment from the year 1252.

1000 BC

The inhabitants of the Bohemian basin had already built a stronghold in this area 1000 years before Christ, and the ancient Celts left visible traces near Mcely here.