Mcely and history

Mcely is a picturesque village with original, historical wooden buildings and a 16th century Baroque church. It has about 300 residents, and its surroundings are a popular recreation area, primarily for the residents of nearby Prague. It is located on the edge of the beautiful St George Forest, itself wreathed in legends. Here you’ll find lots of wild mushrooms, blueberries and other delicious forest fruits. The ancient herbalist and healing tradition of the Nine Flowers is preserved here to this day. Experienced old herbalists collect the nine midsummer blooms at the end of June and add them to healing teas, or steep them in virgin oil to create curative balms.

For centuries Mcely was famous in Bohemia as the location of the Marian Miracles, the most famous of which happened in 1849, when, according to surviving documents, the Queen of Heaven appeared to three orphans.

Preserving local traditions and maintaining the quality of community life matter to the inhabitants of the village. 

 

Time line of Chateau Mcely history

  • 2006

    Chateau Mcely opened its gates to its first guests.

  • 2004

    The demanding and extensive renovation of Chateau Mcely began on June 15 by Inéz and James Cusumano.

  • 1948

    Chateau Mcely was used by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of the Interior. The castle was reduced to a dilapidated state.

  • 1939

    After the death of Prince Alexandre Jan, Chateau Mcely became the family home and administrative center of his grandson, Prince Luigi della Torre e Tasso, and his wife Fanny Goodyear.

  • 1903

    The west wing of the chateau had to be demolished because of its poor foundations. Costly renovation of the chateau was required when Prince Erich Thurn-Taxis married Countess Gabriela Kinsky. Their family lived at Chateau Mcely until1925.

  • 1869

    In 1869 Count Filip Boos-Waldeck sold the Chateau Mcely estate to Prince Hugo Maxmilian of the princely family of Thurn-Taxis, which had its principal seat in nearby Loučeň. The Prince and his descendants owned Chateau Mcely until 1948. To this day, tales are told about the abandon of revels of the young Thurn-Taxis family, hunts with horses and hounds, and lavish parties with ballet dancers and actresses, kennels and racing stables and all the luxuries of aristocratic life of the time.

see more