The History of
Mcely is a picturesque village with original historical wooden buildings and a Baroque church dating back to the 16th century. It currently has about 300 residents and the surrounding countryside is a popular area for recreation, primarily for those from nearby Prague. And what about the chateau itself?
• 1000 BC The inhabitants of the Bohemian basin had already built a stronghold in this area 1000 years before Christ, and the ancient Celts left visible traces near Mcely.
• 1252 The first reliable evidence of the existence of a settlement with the unusual old-Czech name of Mcely can be found on an old parchment from the year 1252.
• 1653 Count Jan Kristian of Valdstejn built the first chateau on Vinice Hill.
• 1808 Baron Jan Filip Wessenberg-Ampringen bought the chateau.
• 1841 The dilapidated Baroque chateau was rebuilt as a new residence in an austere classical style. Jindrich, the son of Baron Jan Filip Wessenberg-Ampringen, moved into the chateau with his family. The manor remained in the family’s hands until 1859.
• 1849 According to old records, nine years before a similar event in Lourdes, the Virgin Mary appeared to three little girls in the small field between Chateau Mcely and the church. A series of reported visions of the Virgin is known as the “Mcely Miracles”.
• 1863 From 1863 to 1869 numerous members of the family of Count Boos-Waldeck occupied the chateau.
• 1869 In 1869 Count Filip Boos-Waldeck sold Chateau Mcely estate to Prince Hugo Maxmilian of the Thurn-Taxis noble family, which had its principal seat in nearby Loučeň. The prince and his descendants owned Chateau Mcely until 1948. To this day, tales are told about the abandon of revels of the young Thurn-Taxis family, the hunts with horses and hounds, and lavish parties with ballet dancers and actresses, kennels and racing stables, and all the luxuries of aristocratic life of the time.
• 1903 The west wing of the chateau had to be demolished because of its poor foundations. Costly renovation of the chateau was required when Prince Erich Thurn-Taxis married Countess Gabriela Kinsky. Their family lived at Chateau Mcely until 1925.
• 1939 After the death of Prince Alexandre Jan, Chateau Mcely became the family home and administrative centre of his grandson, Prince Luigiho della Torre e Tasso and his wife Fanny Goodyear.
• 1948 Chateau Mcely was used by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of the Interior. The chateau was reduced to a dilapidated state.
• 2004 The demanding and extensive renovation of Chateau Mcely began on June 15 by Inéz and James Cusumano.
• 2006 Chateau Mcely opened its gates to its first guests.
• 2010 Renovation of the other half of the park and the birth of the MCELY BOUQUET SPA.